I can’t believe it’s finished: Manu by Kate Davies is finished. I started this in March 2010 and have been working on it steadily since over the spring and summer. I even started bargaining with myself to knit an inch on the body after I worked a 50g ball on Kerrera. That meant I had 9 inches knit on the body by the time I finished – which also meant I was finished the body (I had previously knit 10inches)!
The yarn. Oh, the yarn. 11 balls of 50g Sandes Garn Alpakka in colour 6765 (teal). I have to admit, Sandes Garn is one of my favourite yarn companies – there is variety in the types of yarn; they produce tons of sport, DK and fingering weights (in lots of gorgeous colours); and they are real workhorse yarns. The yardage is generally very good so it results in affordable yarn because you don’t have to buy tons. I highly recommend this alpakka yarn – it washes well, it’s soft, and the colour. Wow. I was able to obtain gauge with 3mm. And the i-cord was knit on 4mm.
The sweater. Wow again.
The details are what make the sweater so pleasing -
The i-cord around every edge which gives it such a professional finish.
The i-cord bound-off button band.
The garter edges finishing off the edges prior to the i-cord.
The buttons. Yes, I took the pearls off – these worked so much better.
The pleats. Oh, they are so perfect. I changed direction halfway through as others have done.
The pockets. Instead of the K1, M1 across to double the stitches, I knit K1, M1, * K2, M1, rpt from *, K1.
The short rows: Pure. Genius.
I used this link to learn about Japanese Short Rows:
Lastly, while I am pleased that this project is finished, I am sad since it was the most challenging project thus far and very enjoyable. I am looking forward to choosing some more projects that push my comfort zone. I hope you are pushing your comfort zone too :)