We camped this weekend in the rain that often plagues the Upper Fraser Valley of Southern British Columbia. It was wonderful to get outside, have some time to take the dogs on long walks, and visit with family and good friends. I have been working on a couple of projects recently – one that is drying and I’ll photograph/share it once it is gifted, and another that I wanted to show you prematurely. It isn’t finished but the construction has been a delight. I am not so afraid of seaming anymore so I have started taking on some projects I would never have considered last year or the year prior. Solaris is one of those projects that I have been wanting to make for some time.
I had some Cascade Eco+ in my stash that I have used in colour 4010 Straw. I swatched up on 5.00mm and recalculated the stitches based on my gauge (which was very different – of course) and removed about 5 inches from the bulk of the collar. The construction of the back piece was very interesting:
Rather than knit the back piece to the usual arm depth, you stop at about 5 1/2 inches (or whatever your size is), which as you can see on my dress form leaves you about 3 inches “short” – or so you would think.
The left front is then cast on and worked back and forth to the underarms. From there, armhole shaping is worked as well as the complete arm hole, then the piece is worked across the back. The right front is worked completely in reverse of the left front.
The result is interesting and incredibly satisfying. I haven’t washed the sweater yet and I have only just cast on the arms but I am looking forward to the finished results. There’s part of me that doesn’t even want to do full arms but rather sleeve caps to leave it as a vest but I know I would regret that later. So finish it, I will.
I hope you are working on something interesting and equally satisfying this evening.
That is a neat construction! And I love the collar that it gives. Looking forward to seeing the finished cardi!