I’m not really into cute things … honestly? I don’t actually like cute things. I appreciate them, but they just aren’t my cup of tea.
However. I saw this. Then I saw this. Loved both but I didn’t see any notes from no2108’s version to modify Nikki’s pattern in a worsted weight and garter stitch. I thought maybe some of you would want the notes I made as I knit, so I talked to Nikki and we agreed it would be ok for me to tell you what my modifications were, as well as provide the chart that I used.
The original chart from Nikki’s pattern was too long in the yoke for a 6 month size in worsted, so I just shortened it.
I used a stashed skein of Cascade 220 in colour 9420 (Teal). I have about 0.2 of the skein left. My gauge on 5.00mm needles was 18 stitches by 24 rows over 4 inches.
The chart is a 4 stitch repeat (outlined in dark blue) + 3 stitches. The chart starts on a WRONG SIDE row. At the completion of row 7, the stitches between the leaves become garter stitch and continue that way until completion of the sweater.
The first 4 and last 4 stitches were the button bands. I placed these on the 4th row, then again on the 18th row (after 7 garter ridges). I used Nikki’s buttonholes from her pattern.
I cast on 43 stitches and knit 4 rows of garter. Next, I started row 1 (WS) of the chart.
At the completion of the chart, I had 97 stitches total. For a 4” yoke, I knit 1 WS row.
Then, next row (RS): Knit 4 stitches as established for button bands, increase 15 stitches evenly over next 89 stitches, knit 4. 112 stitches total.
Next row (WS): Knit.
Next row (RS): Knit 4 stitches as established for button bands, increase 15 stitches evenly over next 104 stitches, knit 4. 126 stitches total.
Next row (WS): Knit.
Next, I divided for the sleeves as following (RS): Knit 18 stitches (right front), place next 27 stitches on scrap yarn (right sleeve), knit across next 36 stitches (back), place next 27 stitches on scrap yarn (left sleeve), knit 18 stitches (left front). 72 stitches total on needle.
I worked 6” in garter from the underarm, then cast off.
For the sleeves, I used DPNs as follows: Knit 1 row, Purl 1 row, Knit 1 row, Purl 1 row. Cast off loosely. Sew the armhole closed. Weave in ends and place buttons in corresponding place.
I am going to make a 9 month old size next for a friend and I have calculated the stitches needed for both a 9 and 12 month size. Please email me if you would like me to send you those notes, as the yoke is slightly longer as well. If you have any questions about how I made my version, please don’t hesitate to email me :)