Episode 143 Live: Dyeing with Madder & Make Nine Progress 2020/Copious WIPS
Thank you for being here today, especially those who were able to make it to the Live Stream. I appreciate your time spent here in this place and me. I hope you feel most welcome because you are welcome here.
Enjoy the show!
Live Chat Assistance here.
NEW! Virtual Spin Group! There’s been a call from the community for many months (ehem, years) for a virtual spinning group! There is LIMITED SPACE and the link is here (look to join the “Spinning Group” tier!) to learn more. We hosted our first one yesterday and we had a great time!
Attentive Spinners! Be sure to sign up for the Doodle to be part of Wool n’ Spinning Radio in the new year! We will be working on Word Prompt episodes and if you are a part of the Attentive Spinner tier – you are invited to join!!
For March, I’ll be sending out another 4oz of Shetland in pin-drafted form from Disdero Ranch in Tappen, BC. Please enter in the March Episode Thread and answer: What is your favourite YARN you’ve even spun & why?
- Community-wide call to everyone in the community to participate in our Crafty Jaks Along to honour some of the people in our community! Cast on date: April 1st, 2020 with cast off deadline July 31st, 2020
- Prizes! There will be fun prizes! Read the post linked above for details!
- This is a time to do what we do best and get creative. This is the time to make and lift up others – please read Rebecca’s blog post to learn more about this Makealong and event if you would like to learn more about the creation of this amazing event.
- Excited to be casting on with Katrina’s B-fabu-licious yarn in an OOAK that she had in stock (that I love) and making Anker’s Cardigan by PetiteKnits, a PURELY selfish knit at this time!
Make NINE Progress
- Making some changes to my projects that I would like to make this year, based on some purchases from ‘Fibres West’ last weekend & thinking about what I would like to make, wear & add to my wardrobe.
- Many recent changes have resulted in some major purging of my closet so I have been thinking about what I’d like to add & make!
- Thoughts have lead me to some simple, cropped sweaters & some really lovely lace, open-front cardigans that can double as ‘jackets’ in the Spring and Fall
- Make Nine Ravelry page – changing & fluid project page as things progress, my thoughts solidify & I think about what to commit to going forward
Sparkle Cardigan by Joji Locatelli
- Spun & knit this cardigan in 2017 – 2018
- Finished knitting in November 2018 – total project took ~13 months to complete
- Original fibre from Disdero Ranch, Tappen, BC – an 85/15 Romney/Mohair pin-drafted blend
- Spun an enormous amount of yarn – leftovers were used in our Sheep-to-Shawl in 2019
- The stark white meant I just never wore it – it was too bright-white & didn’t suit most of what I choose to wear on a daily basis so I never grab it
- Discussed with Katrina what to do but decided this past weekend to take a leap of faith:
- Scoured, mordanted & dyed with Madder @ 10% DOS
- Love the results!
Work in Progress – Knitting
Comfort Fade Cardigan by Andrea Mowry
- After much contemplation, I decided to rip this out – the yarn gauge that I was knitting at wasn’t providing enough structure for the cardigan itself
- Was quite worried about wearability – will be working on some smaller sample pieces from the yarn
Felix Cardigan by Amy Christoffers
- Back to this cardigan again!
- Decided to do some stash diving for some forthcoming content that I am developing & felt inspired by this yarn
- Swatched on Monday morning – dried quickly due to the loose gauge & stitch count
- Loving knitting with it – enjoying the simplicity of this design & quickness
The Shift by Andrea Mowry
- Continuing to plug away – on the decreases now & close to being finished!
- Still loving the colour movement & texture
- Perfect project for 3 skeins of wonderful handspun that coordinates in some way but is different enough to be showcased nicely!
Lambda by Ellen Wright
- Cast this on to work with Custom Woollen Mills yarn that I bought back in July 2020 from Whitehorse, Yukon
- Wanted to rip and re-knit because I didn’t want this to fall into deep stash
- Loving the set-up & lace – might be a slightly too tight gauge; loosen to 5.5mm
Be sure to sign up for the Wool n’ Spinning Newsletter at welfordpurls.com.
For softcover copy of How I Spin: A Sock Study, follow here.
Unbraided – EBOOKS available here & book orders can be made here.
Thank you so much for joining me today!
Until then, Happy Spinning!