Dear Spinning Circle,
Thank you for being here today, especially those who were able to make it to the Live Stream. I appreciate your time spent here in this place with me. I hope you feel most welcome because you are welcome here.
Direct YouTube link here.
Enjoy the show!
Be sure to sign up for the Wool n’ Spinning Newsletter at welfordpurls.com.
For August, tell us about your biggest accomplishment in spinning – not necessarily your favourite spin – but your biggest accomplishment. Episode thread here.
Breed & Colour Studies
Tamar (@2ndzephyr) shares: So just wanted to share my experiences so far with our color study. This is my first skein. It is a traditional 3 ply, spun supported long draw at roughly 36 wpi singles, and fractal-ish. The spinning itself was easy and welcomed for a long draw novice like myself. I found the fiber very forgiving, drafting beautifully and evenly. I had forgotten how quickly a bobbin fills with long draw. Overall I’m pretty happy. Things turned out almost as expected. The yarn is bouncy with a good amount of air. If I had to repeat this exact yarn I would definitely put less twist in the singles as I expected a more fuzzy rustic yarn.
#booksbooksbooks channel on Slack
As a community, we are delving into a Jane Austen Book Club. We will be reading Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen. Reading can begin anytime and @bethy40 (Becca) in our community will be coordinating Zoom Book Clubs for us to meet within to discuss chunks of the book at a time.
We are currently reading How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. We have one more meeting for this book before we will be moving onto our next study book. The next meeting will be Friday, August 21st @ 12noon. Please see the Slack channel for the Zoom links as they are posted.
Works in Progress – Spinning
- Lendrum Saxony – 18:1, Scotch Tension
- Filed away burr on flyer – spinning beautifully now!
Finished Objects – Knitting
- Yarn: Friesian fleece, woollen spun 2-ply, WPI 11-12 – Lovely dark brown with heathering from the lighter tips
- Needles: 4.5mm/US 7
- Size 36.5” bust (S)
Little Shore Cardigan by Carrie Bostick Hoge
- Cascade 220 Heathers – colourway 9456 Sapphire Blue
- Size: 8yr / 29” bust (Norah – 25.5” bust)
Works in Progress – Knitting
Always in my Heart by Isabell Kraemer
- Crafty Jaks Tough & Tender in ‘Ocean’ & Targhee/Bamboo/Silk in ‘Pesuta’ (fractal) handspun
- 4.00mm/US 6 needles
Pink Velvet by Andrea Mowry
- Jamieson’s Spindrift coral & unlabelled dark teal (200 yards)
- 3.5mm/US 4 needles – swatch pending
Sauvabelin Sweater by Jessica Gore
- Custom Woollen Mills fingering (swatched to sport weight, rustic)
- 3.75mm/US 5 needles = gauge