Dear Spinning Circle,
Direct YouTube link here.
Thank you for being here today, especially those who were able to make it to the Live Stream. I appreciate your time spent here in this place with me. You are most welcome. I hope you feel most welcome because you are welcome here.
Enjoy the show!
Live Chat Assistance here.
There is a lot going on in our community! It’s a lot to cover and remind you of each week. If you are curious about what happens in our community, please click the links below, reach out to me: rachel @ welfordpurls (dot) com, or reach out on Instagram/Ravelry/Slack (if you are a Patreon member, @welfordpurls_admin).
- Be sure to sign up for the Wool n’ Spinning Newsletter at welfordpurls.com.
- For a softcover copy of How I Spin: A Sock Study, check here & e-book link here
- Unbraided: The Art & Science of Spinning Colour – e-books here & book orders here.
- Tin Can Knits ALONG Ravelry thread here & use #sweaterspin channel on Slack
- 51 Yarns SAL Group A here & Group B here
- Book Club – for more information, check the #booksbooksbooks channel on Slack (patrons only)
On & Off the Needles & Bobbins
Works in Progress – Spinning
WestCoast Colour Karma Merino & Yak
- Prepped last week, spinning continuous backward, 3-4 counts, ½ draft
- Lendrum Saxony, DD, nice pull on 8:1
- possible yoke of Dubula by Orlane Suuche
Works in Progress – Knitting
Love Note by Tin Can Knits
- Small Bird Workshop 80/20 CVM/Mohair pin-drafted roving (handspun page here)
- Spun on Ashford e-Spinner 3 – continuous backward draft, full draft & minimal smoothing
- Knit swatch – 16 stitches per 4 inches with yarn HELD DOUBLE
#07 Tunic Cardigan by Joan Forgione
- Vogue Knitting 25 Year Anniversary Issue
- Juniper Moon Farm Patagonia Organic Merino in Sand & Smoked
- 4.00mm/US 7 for Mosaic knitting & 3.75mm/US 5 ribbing
Opus Spicatum by Kate Gagnon Osborn
- Westcoast Colour BFL + Silk, Aran weight 2-ply, photos here of James’ toddler mitts
- Held double: West Yorkshire Spinners’ Aire Valley DK in cream/natural
Albini by Orlane Sucche
- Disdero Ranch 100% Shetland 3-ply
- woollen prep – pin-drafted roving, spun semi-worsted (continuous backwards w/o smoothing)
- swatch gauge: 19 stitches x 4 inches
For October, tell us about your spinning plans for the rest of the year? What are you looking forward to learning, exploring and making?
Episode thread here or comment below here on YouTube!
Tin Can Knits Along #tincanknitsalong
Sarah (@knotsazz, post no. 14) shares: Is it ok to join with WIPs? I have a love note for my sister on my needles right now, and this might give me a kick up the backside to get it finished! It’s not handspun.
Breed & Colour Studies
Barb (@bldaiker, post no. 109) shares: Finished by yarn after sooo much plying. Made a Bubble Crepe, for the first time. Used six singles, two with the Charolais and four with some Shropshire I have in my stash. Every ply was up-plied. Couldn’t see the final results until the finishing bath. Bulky weight at 6 wraps per inch. I’ve knit a cowl. Pictures to come when I’ve wet finished and woven in the ends. It was fun, but looking forward to regular plying for a break.
Zero to Hero 2020
Jackie (@jackierevilla, post no. 417) shares: I am so excited about my zero to hero project. I bought two pounds of Targhee at Oregon Flock and Fiber in September of 2018, but started spinning it up January 2020. I spun worsted short forward draw in my default 45 wpi for singles. I got 3300 yds in 3 ply fingering. I decided to dye one hank using Abundant Earth wool tinctures and chose Birdsong to knit. I am glad I went up a size because my gauge swatch lied. The sleeves are also a bit long, but I don’t mind. The yarn is so cozy and this sweater is soft and lovely. Pattern: Birdsong by Maschenwunder Manja Vogelsang
How I Spin: Exploring Blends
Upcoming How I Spin content to finish off the year in November & December exploring how the recent explorations of blends resulted for me, thoughts for the future & kicking off luxury fibres for the new year. For more information, please head to the Co-Executive Producer or higher on Patreon.
Thank you so much for joining me today!
Until then, Happy Spinning!